Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dream Cafe- Experience #2


This will be short and sweet, as I have already reviewed DREAM CAFE once. As I mentioned, though, I would be seeing it multiple times.

In my second attendence, the scene order was: Dessert, Home, Strong Coffee, Slow Drip, Bitter, and Instant.

Again- IT WAS STUNNING. It drew gasps and tears from not only me but the entire audience. In addition to the genious that is the script, this particular night, there wasn't a single missed beat by the actors. Every scene began and ended with a total commitment to the moment by every actor, and the emotions were more real, more raw than I have experienced in a long time. The characters' journies and the outcome of the story was almost opposite this time from my first experience, and I felt like I hadn't met these characters or heard any of these lines before. Not only had the scene order changed, so had the motivation and the underlying emotion of every single word uttered. It wasn't until it was over and I was contemplating (and comparing notes) in my car did I truly begin to understand the different story I had experienced. Only then was I beginning to truly grasp all the stories within this script and the power of each and every one of them.

I told Mark-Brian I simply had to keep attending. I'll keep going until I either run out of money or get the ending to the story that I want. It's theatrical therapy for this love-sick and hopeless romantic of a critic!

No comments:

Post a Comment